Friday, November 11, 2011

How to Make Chicken Less Boring

Dude. Chicken is boring. I don't usually eat chicken because it's so incredibly boring. I don't see the point in adding chicken, I'd rather eat vegetables. So when I started a house poll last Sunday of "who wants roast?" and the answer was an unanimous "uh...everyone" I mobbed up to the store to get some supplies. Being on a budget, I examined the prices of all the meaty roast cuts thoroughly. Chicken was the most economical and we need to make chicken stock anyway. I will admit that roast chicken is rarely boring. So I, only slightly begrudgingly, bought a chicken. Pears are in season so I bought a couple of those too, not really sure how they would fit into this meal. Our garden still has plenty of herbs so I picked some sage, parsley, and oregano and put that in with some melted butter and garlic. I still wasn't sure what to do with this pear I though. If I put the pear in with the vegetables under the chicken, it might be off-putting with its sweetness. I then thought about thinly slicing the pear and putting it over the exterior of the chicken but maybe that would ruin the delicious skin. But what about under the skin? Yes! Thinly sliced pears, along with butter and herbs, underneath crispy chicken skin is the way to go. I used two sticks of butter for this entire meal. One stick of butter for the exterior of the chicken, half a stick for the cavity, half a stick for the vegetables. The vegetables here were: brussels sprouts, carrots, potatoes (purple, white, and red), and a sweet potato.

No comments: