You know, I haven't blogged in a while. The love/anti-love thing felt like therapy. It was good. I intend to carry it out, but I've been distracted and my need for this catharsis has subsided. Here is the third installment: For the Love of Farmers' Market Sandwiches.
I recently saw an article headline that was something about a woman who still is a foodie even though she has celiac. I rolled my eyes, not only because of the word "foodie" (a word I despise). If you read celiac/gluten free blogs (there are hundreds of them), you'd learn that almost all of these blogs run by amazing people making delicious and inventive foods. We don't blog about bologna sandwiches because that's not blogworthy (except when it is). Is that surprising to people? We blog about food because we love food. We blog about food because wheat is no longer a drug we abuse (wheat withdrawal is a very real thing that many people with gluten intolerances go through - I did). Food is my love but in the past, it has been my anti-love. I could say that food is my anti-love, but like a mean ex-boyfriend, I'm over it. I still think about the good times gluten and I had. Late night pizzas, beers, and those Essential Bakery seeded baguettes. I'm not all that inventive about the food that I make. The reason it tastes good and in your case, dear reader, looks good, is because of all the beautiful love that goes into it. Farmers that actually care about the crops that they raise, cooked by people who want to feel closer to the food they consume. The reason it looks good is because I have a difficult time compromising. Once you go farmers' market, it's hard to not feel gross about Safeway's produce (never mind their horrible looking organic produce). No judgement to those who shop at Safeway.
I farm. I cook. I buy my produce, meats, and cheeses in the open air. I love every bit of it. I don't think farmers' markets are going to change the world but I think they've changed my world and the way I look at food.
So here's my offer to you, a Farmers' Market Sandwich. I want nothing else but to encourage you to seek out your local farmers' market or local farmers and make something. Roast vegetables. Make a salad. Make a sandwich. Infuse fruits in booze.
My Farmers' Market Sandwich and Salad
If you can, buy your bread at the farmers' market too, it's way tastier than anything else. I used Udi's Gluten Free Bread, buttered it, and placed it on a hot cast iron skillet. Sliced up some Port Madison Spring Goat Cheese and placed that on top of the bread. Caramelized some Alverez Farm's red spring onions and some zucchini (also Alverez Farm). Some mixed greens and some of the ends of the green ends from the red onion were placed on the sandwich last. I pressed it down with a spatula (makeshift panini press?). Once the cheese was melty it's done.
The salad you see is some more of those greens (I forgot what farm they were from...bumz), little carrots, some more of that cheese, salt, pepper, olive oil, and some apple cider vinegar.
I want to hear about your farmers' market sandwiches and creations.
No comments:
Post a Comment