Sunday, October 10, 2010

How to Hide Squash

It's nearly full blown Autumn here in Seattle. The rain has begun to feel like a permanent fixture. My music selection has consisted mostly of slow, down tempo music ranging everywhere from Efterklang to Mountain Goats and Woody Guthrie, with highest honorable mentions to Gabriel Teodros and Grynch.
Honesty seems to be big theme since I was laid off last March. I've been doing lots of reflecting and improving. Chai and homebrew fuel sessions of quiet time. Lots of reading about how to teach reading. And immense amounts of thought pouring into how to be a teacher working in a social justice context. I need a place to organize these thoughts and maybe this will be that place.
Anyway. Honesty. This is the overarching theme here.
The secret to hiding squash into your macaroni and cheese is to boil down 3 cups of cubed butternut squash in to about 1 cup of veggie broth, a pinch of salt. Mash it with a potato masher. This will act as your roux, add about a cup and a half of cheese, then a pound of cooked noodles. You can put some bread crumbs on top and throw it in the oven if that's what your into (I'm into this).
Also, pumpkin makes a great egg replacement. I've been experimenting with vegan pumpkin chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.

No comments: