Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year


Last night, as I walked through a forest lined path with some of my best friends, I checked my cell phone, which was doubling as a flashlight. At 11:59 pm I shouted out "Happy New Year". It was premature but I was so stoked that I checked the time on my phone at almost exactly midnight.
We were on an adventure. We had to walk about a mile deep into the forest to get to the right place. The night sky was clear and the air was freezing. The frosty grass crunched as we walked, our bodies huddled from the cold but mostly giggling with anticipation and the thirst for our little emprise. We arrived at the water and with a cheer, the champagne was uncorked at 12:20, we celebrated the beginning of 2011.

Sky lanterns were lit, the tutorial and inaugural 2011 sky lantern had the word "cancer" attached to it. We all watched as the sky lantern drifted towards Bellevue and then off to oblivion, forever. Catharsis set in. We wrote our 2010 grievances down on little tags and watched them fly off into the clear night sky, never to be seen again.

2010 was a difficult year for many members of our weekly game night crew. The fact that the first tag, the tag we collectively wanted to go away, the tag that unintentionally made our problems seem small, was "cancer", should be an ample glimpse of our year. Jobs were lost, anxieties were raised, people weren't paid, and the world feels angry and unjust, and yeah, one of our crew is pummeling cancer.
The cleansing of 2010 made the evening magical and reset my psyche.



I hope 2011 has more fires, more adventures, more friends, and more catharsis. I'm ready to fight like hell for this.